Paleo eating has become one of the most popular ways to eat healthfully, even for many athletes, but what is it exactly? Here’s a checklist, from the April ’13 Better Health:
1) Lean protein. This should come from grass-eating animals and make up 19 to 35 percent of total calories.
2) Plants. Eat lots of them. In primitive times people ate an average of 100 types of vegetables and fruits during a year, which provided a diverse array of nutrients and antioxidants.
3) Carbohydrates. Carbs in primitive times came from whole foods, including roots, nuts and seeds. Obviously, there was no processed sugar—zero “simple” carbs.
4) Fiber. Ancient people got more than 100 grams of fiber each day in their diet (compared to fewer than 20 grams today).
5) Grains. Only small amounts of seeds were eaten—and not much in the way of grains at all.
6) Fats. No cooking oil, so the only fat was from meat, fish and vegetables, which resulted in a balance of pro-inflammatory omega-6 and anti-inflammatory omega-3 fats.
7) Dairy. No dairy foods were consumed. “Humans today are the only species on Earth that consume the milk of other species.”
Now many of the serious fitness trainers we know on a Paleo Diet include organic dairy. We are in that camp (like high-protein, probiotic-rich Greek yogurt). But that is up to you…
Also, if you go Paleo, do NOT get stuck eating bland meals of the same foods over and over again. It will become a problem, making the plan hard to stick to…
You can solve that problem with the something our friends over at Paleohacks have created–their first-ever Paleo Cookbook!
Just FYI, Paleohacks is the single biggest online Paleo community anywhere–filled with 10’s of thousands of people actually THRIVING on eating Paleolithic style and enjoying the health benefits.
Inside, you’ll not only get 125+ delicious mouthwatering recipes, they’ve also included some great bonuses as well–to help you get started as fast as possible–like the “Paleo 4x Cookbook,” which lists some great recipes that only require 4 ingredients–to keep it as simple for you as possible.
Paleo is a fantastic anti-aging eating plan.